Born Port Elliot, South Australia 1895, lived England 1926–29, died Adelaide 1944
Arthur d’Auvergne Boxall studied architecture at the South Australian School of Mines, drawing at the Adelaide School of Arts, and later trained at the Slade School, London (1926–28). After winning a School of Mines’ scholarship, Boxall began a career in architecture but after seven years left to pursue painting and art teaching.
At the Slade School Boxall won prizes for his figure painting, anatomy, landscape and composition and was awarded the Robert Ross travelling scholarship, which enabled him to travel extensively throughout Europe.
During his time in London, Boxall exhibited widely including at the Royal Academy of Arts, the Paris Salon, and the Royal Institute of Oil Painters. His painting reflected his wide range of interests and included landscapes, portraiture and figurative works.
The construction of the Sydney Harbour bridge was an event which attracted the attention of many artists. Building of the Sydney Harbour Bridge (1930) was painted shortly after Boxall’s return to Australia. His affinity with architecture is obvious in this painting, which illustrates his fascination with construction and attention to detail.
His work is represented in the collections of the Art Gallery of South Australia and the Art Gallery of New South Wales.